Thursday 22 September 2016

Book Review: A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire #1) by Bella Forrest

On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked in to a nightmare from which she cannot wake. A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood. She is kidnaped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine. An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains. Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince. Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realises that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive one more night. Will she succeed?... Or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?


I've always been a Vampire girl... Although I was more Team Jacob than Team Edward, but damn those Salvatore brothers! How about Theo James as a vampire in the fourth Underworld movie? I freaked when that happened if I'm being quite honest! Vampires are definitely my favourite supernatural creatures so I knew this book series (which is on like its 33rd book, damn) was going to be one to enjoy! I saw it advertised on my Facebook home page and the ad basically said, if you're a fan of Twilight then this is the book for you! I couldn't agree more, it's got the ripping hearts out and stabbing vampires with wooden stakes in it, however, it's main focus is on the romance between Sofia and Derek. Although Vampires are all about the blood and gore, I don't think I could ever get in to any that don't have that little slice of romance on the side too, yanno? I like there to be an even amount of both so it's not too violent and it's not too lovey-dovey. This book evens it out perfectly! 

The book only holds 154 pages, making it short and simple, yet I learnt a lot about The Shade, the Vampires and Sofia... Of course, I have no idea what's about to happen in the upcoming books and soon enough I'll be coming back to this blog post saying "This was a complete lie, I had such little knowledge". Bella gives us such a vivid picture of The Shade and all of a sudden I find myself wanting a fancy penthouse on the tree tops. 

Sofia is such a sweet character who also knows how to stand her ground and help others before herself. She came in to The Shade with little fear and assured the other female hostages as much as she possibly could. She has a way of getting all the men to fall at her feet without even knowing she can, she doesn't see in herself what other people see in her. Beautiful. She has a control over Derek that he can't seem to understand or explain, all he knows is that she is his and he is hers. She risks her own life to escape and save the other hostages, yet she feels home when in The Shade. 

Derek is the Prince of The Shade and has just woken up from a 400 years slumber, where he comes back to a weak island and unexpectedly, Sofia. Derek is a vampire with such a fascinating background. Of course I'm not going to spoil but let's just say, he was very anti-vampires in another century. His brother Lucas is one to definitely look out for, he's not to be trusted. His sister Vivienne, gives me mixed opinions. At first I wasn't too keen on her, but by the end she showed a different side to her that is almost respectful. 

There's so many extraordinary characters in this book, Sofia's best friend Ben becomes a big threat to Derek when Ben finds himself also in The Shade. There was little drama in this book, being as it was just an introduction and I can't wait for things to get heated between everybody! I wanna see some blood being shed, some vamps being burned, the bad ones of course... Most of all, I wanna see how everybody adapts and grows with one another, as Sofia is about to change The Shade in a way we can only hope will be for the better. 

- Shelby xxx


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

ItsShelbyMariee Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang